Auditions & Jobs
There are no auditions at this time. Please check back for updates.
Costume Shop Foreman
Reports to: Costume Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Seasonal Full-Time (August – May)
Supervisory Requirements: Yes
The Costume Shop Manager will support the mission of The Atlanta Opera by supervising the work of the costume shop in the creation of world class opera production on both a grand and intimate scale. The Costume Shop Manager will supervise the work of the costume staff and report to the Costume Coordinator.Read more
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise the daily work of the costume shop. Maintains the work flow of built, purchased, rented or pulled costume projects in the shop by monitoring all construction processes; monitoring personnel and resource needs.
- Hire seasonal shop and wardrobe staff and per-production over-hire as necessary
- Resolve staffing issues by identifying staffing needs; making recommendations for hiring and performance evaluation; training and assessing training gaps of current and new staff
- Schedule and maintain staff hours, timesheets, and pay roll
- Manage costume shop seasonal budgets and expense accounts, working closely with the accounting department to comply with all financial policies
- Schedule and attend all costume fittings to ensure consistency and construction standards
- Attend all dress rehearsals supporting the work of the Costume Coordinator and Wardrobe Supervisor
- Maintain inventory and order shop supplies
- Researching and sourcing supplies, materials and equipment
- Provide instruction and development for young employees
- Take on shop projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of costume history, construction techniques, and fabric
- Knowledge of draping, cutting, constructing, fitting, and alterations
- Knowledge of safety standards for costume related equipment, products and tools and their implementation is necessary
- Basic sewing machine repair and maintenance
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Outlook, Word, Drop Box
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem solving and management skills
- Ability to multi-task and execute projects efficiently and according to schedule
- Bachelor/Bachelor Fine Arts or graduate degree in Costume Technology or Management or equivalent work experience in a professional theatrical costume shop
- 5 years’ experience in costume technology with demonstrated supervisory experience, quality work in a fast paces environment
- Must be able to work nights and weekends.
Please email cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com, and include Costume Shop Foreman in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Reports to: CEO, General & Artistic Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Full-time
Supervisory Requirements: Yes
The Managing Director works alongside and reports to the CEO, General & Artistic Director and is responsible for ensuring that his directives are executed by staff in a timely and precise manner. The Managing Director is a key financial and administrative leadership position within the company, providing the CEO, General & Artistic Director with input for increased administrative efficiency and financial oversight. S/he is an active participant in and driver of the organization’s overall strategy and works as part of a Senior Management team. The Managing Director ensures the smooth running of the daily operations through oversight of the Finance and Administration department staff, and will lead the senior management team. S/he will work closely with the finance, audit, executive and investment committees of the board of directors. Extensive experience in financial management and in not-for-profit arts administration is required.Read more
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promote productive collaboration and communication between employees, departments, and with the board of directors.
- Partner with the CEO, General and Artistic Director on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the CEO, General and Artistic Director based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Directly supervise all Senior Management staff
- Develop organizational strategies in support of the company’s 5–year strategic plan. Oversee implementation of strategies and initiatives
- Partner with the revenue departments to execute plans for increasing earned and contributed income.
- Work with the Senior Management team to generate financial and administrative reports for the CEO, General and Artistic Director and Board of Directors.
- Lead staff in achieving monthly goals and completing administrative tasks.
- Develop and maintain documentation for procedures and policies for the organization
- Lead the company’s financial department. Analyze operational and financial data and prepares forecasts and projections.
- Oversee the development and preparation of the monthly financial statement package that includes detailed analytics of the operational results along with detailed budget variance analysis, for distribution to senior management and the executive committee.
- Coordinate the planning, compilation, and presentation of the annual budget; maintain all records of progress in relation to the budget.
- Review monthly variance reports with senior management and ensure budget goals are met.
- Monitor controls and accounting procedures to support all financial preparation, reporting and transactions including annual budgets, payroll, and reconciliation for multiple funds.
- Oversees the tracking of weekly/monthly contributed and earned revenue and pledges. Work closely with the CEO, General and Artistic Director on cash flow projections, contributed income projections and managing expenses in order to achieve balanced and/or surplus budgets annually.
- Responsible for all bank accounts, credit card accounts and other financial instruments as required.
- Oversees the completion and filing of all local, state and federal reports necessary to maintain the company’s 501-C3 status and complying with all IRS regulations.
- In conjunction with the external audit firm, oversee the preparation, review, and filing of annual federal and state income tax returns, serving as the primary contact with the IRS.
- Review and approve all monthly and quarterly account reconciliations, as prepared by the Controller.
- Review and approve weekly payables and bi-weekly payroll, as prepared by the Controller.
- Review and approve all general journal entries, as prepared by the Controller.
- Review and approve all employee/contractor information returns and quarterly wage filings, as prepared by the Controller.
- Partner with the CEO, General and Artistic Director and Director of Production in developing and executing successful negotiations for all collective bargaining agreements, including the American Federation of Musicians (AFM) and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE).
- Oversee the contracting process as it relates to legal and financial commitments of The Atlanta Opera, which include but are not limited to all capital and operational leases, co-production agreements, rental agreements, and employment contracts. Maintain copies of said contracts, and when necessary liaise with outside counsel.
- Oversee the risk management policies of The Atlanta Opera and lead the annual renewal process for all liability and property insurance policies.
- Facilitate the daily movement of the high volume of information and communication flowing through the company’s office.
- Oversee the Director of Business Operations in coordinating all necessary requirements (and budget) for the Opera as they relate to information technology needs, including but not limited to network administration, software, hardware, and internet. This also includes the management of outside contracting of third party IT vendors.
- Communicate and support implementation for all technology platforms to TAO staff.
- Oversee the company’s annual performance review process.
- Assist the CEO, General and Artistic Director in developing agendas and preparing reports for board meetings
- Primary contact for the Finance and Executive Committee on all finance issues.
- Primary contact for the Investment Committee for the review of the Endowment.
- Primary contact for the Audit Committee on Audit matters • Assure follow-up for any board action items
- Accountability and Honesty
- Thinking Strategically and Analytically
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Conflict management and resolution
- Problem Solving
- Partnering/Networking; Ability to engage with all stakeholders.
- High tolerance for stress and long workdays
- Decision Making
- Establishing Focus
- Delegation and Facilitation
- Managing Risk
- Ability to influence others
- High emotional intelligence
- Flexibility Strong aptitude for change and continual learning
- Degree in Business and/or Arts Administration, Masters of Business Administration (MBA) preferred, or 5+ years of experience in non-profit and financial and administrative management, preferably in a performing arts organization.
- Significant experience in a senior-level position leading a staff of 5 or more is required.
- Demonstrated experience in budget development, revenue forecasting, cash flow management, financial analysis is required.
- Understanding of non-profit finance and accounting is required.
- Knowledge of opera and industry practices in order to participate fully with planning processes is required.
- Knowledge of Abila MIP Fund Accounting and Tessitura is preferred.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Supernumeraries are non-speaking, non-singing roles in opera, similar to extras in movies. Casting needs vary per production. The Atlanta Opera accepts supernumerary applications any time of year for all those interested in being a part of an operatic production.
To apply online:
- Download and save the blank application below
- Fill out the appropriate information
- Save the form
- Email the completed for to email@example.com with “Supernumerary Application” in the subject line. Please attach a headshot or photo of yourself
Once received, we will add your name to our files, and we will contact you if your description fits our casting needs for a production.
There are no internships at this time. Please check back for updates.
The gift of your time and expertise is just as valuable as a monetary gift. Last year, Atlanta Opera volunteers contributed more than 6,000 hours. Volunteers help keep costs low and help us fulfill our mission of presenting world-class opera productions, while fostering education about this important art form. The company is so grateful to have such a supportive volunteer team. Their hard work and generosity keeps the beauty and passion of opera alive in Atlanta. Just some of the ways you can volunteer with The Atlanta Opera:
- Sell merchandise at Shop Opera
- Airport transportation
- Light Walking
- Final Dress Rehearsal
- Phone relief/receptionist coverage
- Special events