Auditions & Jobs
Costume Shop Foreman
Reports to: Costume Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment Status: Seasonal Full-Time (August – May)
Supervisory Requirements: Yes
The Costume Shop Manager will support the mission of The Atlanta Opera by supervising the work of the costume shop in the creation of world class opera production on both a grand and intimate scale. The Costume Shop Manager will supervise the work of the costume staff and report to the Costume Coordinator.Read more
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise the daily work of the costume shop. Maintains the work flow of built, purchased, rented or pulled costume projects in the shop by monitoring all construction processes; monitoring personnel and resource needs.
- Hire seasonal shop and wardrobe staff and per-production over-hire as necessary
- Resolve staffing issues by identifying staffing needs; making recommendations for hiring and performance evaluation; training and assessing training gaps of current and new staff
- Schedule and maintain staff hours, timesheets, and pay roll
- Manage costume shop seasonal budgets and expense accounts, working closely with the accounting department to comply with all financial policies
- Schedule and attend all costume fittings to ensure consistency and construction standards
- Attend all dress rehearsals supporting the work of the Costume Coordinator and Wardrobe Supervisor
- Maintain inventory and order shop supplies
- Researching and sourcing supplies, materials and equipment
- Provide instruction and development for young employees
- Take on shop projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of costume history, construction techniques, and fabric
- Knowledge of draping, cutting, constructing, fitting, and alterations
- Knowledge of safety standards for costume related equipment, products and tools and their implementation is necessary
- Basic sewing machine repair and maintenance
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Outlook, Word, Drop Box
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem solving and management skills
- Ability to multi-task and execute projects efficiently and according to schedule
- Bachelor/Bachelor Fine Arts or graduate degree in Costume Technology or Management or equivalent work experience in a professional theatrical costume shop
- 5 years’ experience in costume technology with demonstrated supervisory experience, quality work in a fast paces environment
- Must be able to work nights and weekends.
Please email cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include Costume Shop Foreman in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Supernumeraries are non-speaking, non-singing roles in opera, similar to extras in movies. Casting needs vary per production. The Atlanta Opera accepts supernumerary applications any time of year for all those interested in being a part of an operatic production.
To apply online, please fill out the form below. Once received, we will add your name to our files, and we will contact you if your description fits our casting needs for a production.Read more
There are no internships at this time. Please check back for updates.
The gift of your time and expertise is just as valuable as a monetary gift. Last year, Atlanta Opera volunteers contributed more than 6,000 hours. Volunteers help keep costs low and help us fulfill our mission of presenting world-class opera productions, while fostering education about this important art form. The company is so grateful to have such a supportive volunteer team. Their hard work and generosity keeps the beauty and passion of opera alive in Atlanta. Just some of the ways you can volunteer with The Atlanta Opera:
- Sell merchandise at Shop Opera
- Airport transportation
- Light Walking
- Final Dress Rehearsal
- Phone relief/receptionist coverage
- Special events