A core mission of The Atlanta Opera is to provide educational opportunities for students of all ages. Each year, we reach approximately 14,000 students in Metro-Atlanta and throughout the state of Georgia. Our programs work to promote an enduring appreciation of opera and to create audiences for the future. We are committed to higher levels of learning and programming that foster cross-curriculum connections while fulfilling Georgia Performance Standards. Our educational partners are instrumental in bringing the power and passion of opera to thousands of students across the state.
Education programs include: the Studio Tour, which serves thousands of students in Metro-Atlanta schools every year, and is performed by the Atlanta Opera Studio artists; the Student Short, a fully-staged reduced version of one opera in the season; OPERAbility, an opportunity to invite a teaching artist to your classroom; and the Final Dress Rehearsal ticket program, in which teachers can apply to bring their students for FREE to opera rehearsals each season. There are also opportunities for student groups to attend at a reduced rate, as well as individual students to take advantage of student rush tickets before every performance at Cobb Energy Centre.
For Grades K-12
The Magic Flute Studio Tour
The Atlanta Opera Studio Tour Presents:
Once upon a time, Mozart wrote an enchanting fairy tale with heroes, heroines, and a daring rescue. Next year, The Atlanta Opera Studio Tour re-imagines The Magic Flute in a new production for kids of all ages. This one hour abridged opera – sung in English – combines enchanting puppets with the talented artists of The Atlanta Opera Studio to take you on a magical mission, navigated by Mozart’s timeless and energetic score.
The Magic Flute 2017-2018 Studio Tour Dates:
October 10 – 20, 2017
January 4 – 31, 2018
May 7 – 18, 2018
To bring the Studio Tour to your school or venue:
For Grades 6-12
The Daughter of the Regiment: Student Short
Field trip to Cobb Energy Centre for a special performance for students
Date, time, and tickets announced this fall through ArtsBridge.
Student Shorts are fully-staged, abbreviated versions of the mainstage productions, and feature principal artists and the Atlanta Opera Orchestra and Chorus. Carefully selected highlights are threaded together, providing students the performance experience at the Cobb Energy Centre. Recommended for grades 6-12.
Marie is a spirited and charming tomboy, adopted and raised by a French army regiment, and she has fallen in love with the handsome Tonio. When she receives new information about her identity, she must decide whether to follow her place in society, or follow her heart.
Transportation & Bus Parking
Complimentary bus parking is available at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre; attendants will be onsite to direct your driver where to go. If you are arriving separately in cars, parking is available in the deck adjacent to the theatre for $6.00.
For performances at Cobb Energy Centre, $25 – $35 rush tickets are available two hours prior to curtain. Students must present a valid student ID at the ticket window.
Final Dress Rehearsal
Free passes for school groups are available to each mainstage Final Dress Rehearsal for the 2017-18 season.
The Atlanta Opera proudly invites students and educators to the Final Dress Rehearsal of each main stage opera at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center. Students will enjoy a full performance as the music, staging, and lighting are rehearsed for the last time before opening night!
Early application submission is encouraged – we anticipate the allotment of tickets to sell out for each rehearsal.
2017-18 Final Dress Rehearsal Guidelines for Eligibility & Requesting Tickets:
- Reservations are free and open to all public, charter, private, parochial and home schools. Grades 6-12.
- Applications must be completed a minimum of 2 weeks before the Final Dress Rehearsal date.
- Applications may be completed online by email, fax, or mail.
- Space is limited and tickets are available on a first come, first served basis.
- If you are placed on a waiting list, you will be notified via Email.
- In most cases, tickets will be mailed to the contact listed on the request form prior to the show.
- There is a minimum of 10 tickets and a maximum of 50 tickets per school including both students and chaperones. Also, no more than 1 chaperone per 10 students is allowed.
- Organizations may apply to more than one performance per season; however, in the case of a waiting list, preference will be given to those who have not yet attended.
- Incomplete applications, or applications submitted after the deadlines for each show may not be considered.
- Organizations that receive tickets and do not redeem them may not be allowed to apply again during the current season.
- All applications are subject to review by The Atlanta Opera Community Engagement Department.
To reserve Final Dress Rehearsal tickets:
Designed specifically to heighten the art of performing opera and song for students, Masterclasses feature teaching artists giving one-on-one instruction. Teaching artists also answer questions concerning performing, higher education opportunities, and career goals.
For more information please contact:
Audience Development & Education Manager
For Grades K-12
Classroom Presentation: OPERAbility Program
OPERAbility is designed for a classroom of students, and allows extensive interaction between students and artists. Sessions feature a teaching artist discussing the concept, history, and production aspects of opera. The teaching artist will perform selections of an opera and include a question-and-answer period at the end. This 30-minute presentation is available year-round for schools, camps, youth groups, and interested adults.